Founded by Evelyn H. Lauder in 1993, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) is dedicated to being the end of breast cancer by advancing the world’s most promising research. BCRF is the largest private funder of breast cancer research in the world. We invest in a wide range of research—from prevention to metastasis—because each area of investigation informs another, propelling us toward the solutions we urgently need.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer (CDO) on the Development and Events (D&E) team, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) seeks to hire an exceptional, frontline-track development professional to join a deeply dedicated and high-performing team to aid in fundraising and growing support for the world’s most promising breast cancer research.
Breast cancer hasn’t stopped because of the pandemic—one in eight women will be diagnosed in her lifetime—and neither can we. The development associate joins BCRF, the highest-rated breast cancer organization in the U.S., at a time of heightened investment and opportunity in leadership, major, and truly transformational gifts—as well as opportunity in science. The development associate partners with the CDO on day-to-day matters pertaining to both high-level fundraising and the leadership of the team. The development associate also partners with the major gifts team and other colleagues to aid in maximizing fundraising at the highest levels with the opportunity to join in this frontline fundraising, pipeline-building work for motivated candidates.
Location: New York, NY with some travel pending health and safety guidance
- Provide high level administrative support for the CDO, along with additional administrative support for the major gifts team (e.g., manage CDO calendar and email, schedule meetings including donor meetings and prepare related materials, draft correspondence including board and other major donor correspondence, arrange travel as needed, process expense reports and invoices).
- Update and maintain the CDO’s donor portfolio utilizing Raiser’s Edge / NXT, entering and circulating contact reports, adding and updating proposals, entering future actions, and liaising with the database team to maintain data and support moves management.
- Conduct research on new and existing major and principal gift prospects utilizing online tools (e.g., WealthEngine, WealthX) and create various research documents including briefings for use in high-level fundraising by the CDO, major gifts team, and Foundation President.
- Edit and format funding overviews and proposals as well as general stewardship reports. Aid in the preparation of gift agreements. Edit and proofread other written materials.
- Support annual fund and leadership-level cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship ($1,000 – $10,000), identifying leadership and major gift prospects among recent $1,000+ donors, calling and writing to thank donors in this range and qualifying them for greater giving, and soliciting renewed support—with potential to carry a portfolio and advance as a frontline fundraiser in a collaborative, supportive environment with colleagues willing to teach and mentor.
- Foster positive collegial relationships within the D&E team and across the Foundation, supporting coordination and collaboration between departments.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
What we are looking for:
- Appreciation and respect for principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Belief in BCRF’s mission and keen interest in related science
- Undergraduate degree or commensurate educational experience
- 1 – 2 years of experience in a field such as fundraising in the nonprofit sector, communications, marketing, or sales as well as desire to grow and advance in development
- Flexibility and strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Diplomacy, discretion, sensitivity, and tact
- Attention to detail, strong organizational and project management skills
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work within an environment that emphasizes teamwork as well as individual initiative
Bonus points for:
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge / NXT
- Prospect research and portfolio management skills
BCRF offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package for the right candidate.
BCRF staff are currently working remotely and are planning for a tentative return to the BCRF office in New York in January pending health and safety guidance.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
Occasional nights and weekends, particularly around events
Occasional travel to support BCRF events in the tri-state area, Boston, and Palm Beach, FL.
BCRF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and the principles of non-discrimination in the workplace. Candidates will not be discriminated on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Please email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, with the subject line Development Associate.
Candidates who share both why they’re a good fit and their salary expectations are more likely to qualify. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.