Blue Shield of California’s Organizational Development and Learning team focuses on programs that develop great leaders from within. We also own the employee engagement strategy and execute the measurement that tells us how we are doing to achieve our goal of becoming a great place to work. Additionally, we enable enterprise-wide transformation through strategic change management initiatives.
We take becoming a great place to work very seriously at Blue Shield of California and believe that one of the ways that we can accomplish this is by developing our leaders at all levels. We offer our leaders development opportunities in addition to our core programs Lead to Excellence, Manage to Excellence, and Skilled to Excellence, plus our communities of practices.
As the Senior Manager of Organizational Development and Learning, you will play a key role in strategizing and delivering on all aspects of leadership development. You will have an opportunity to guide the leadership development team towards realizing its strategic goals and objectives. This role will report to the Director of Organizational Development and Learning.
- Leading the team that manages and develops end-to-end leadership development programs for all employees, including Lead to Excellence, Manage to Excellence, Skilled to Excellence and all communities of practice.
- Driving team strategic planning and leadership annual planning process for all programs.
- Executing an enterprise-wide learning needs assessment, through leveraging existing Blue Shield data and conducting surveys, interviews, and focus groups. Applying key insights and external best practices/research to inform learning program content and delivery strategies.
- Using instructional design expertise to help develop new programming and improve existing programs to meet the needs of the business.
- Developing and launching a consistent and aligned evaluation strategy and metrics for all leadership development programs.
- Using consultative skills to solve complex, enterprise-wide organizational challenges and designing solutions that are tailored to business needs and can be scaled across the organization.
- Building strong relationships and influencing stakeholders to ensure alignment of leadership development program goals with strategic business goals and outcomes.
- Generating a holistic leadership development communication strategy in partnership with Internal Communications to increase awareness and participation in programs.
- Partnering with the Organizational Development and Learning leadership on executive-level meetings. Applying business acumen to build relevant learning activities and trusted solutions.
- Partnering with the Finance team to monitor the leadership development budget and execute regular reporting to Organizational Development and Learning leadership.
Knowledge And Experience
- Minimum of 10 years of broad experience in the human resources and organizational development field.
- At least 3-5 years of advanced knowledge in leadership development, learning program management, instructional design, and internal or external consulting.
- 1-3 years managing a team of direct reports. Experience managing indirect reports (matrix or informal) preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in related field (e.g. Organizational Development, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Human Resources, MBA) strongly preferred.
- Project management: Experience managing complex projects with aggressive timelines; demonstrated ability to be organized and show attention to detail, meet deadlines, and keep everyone informed of project status in a proactive way.
- Results orientation: Demonstrated ability to handle multiple competing priorities with the ability to drive for results. Quick learner who can come up to speed quickly and use experience and judgment to make progress.
- Thought leadership: Demonstrated ability to bring strategic and innovative thought to established practices, programs, and processes.
- Relationship building: Thrives in a collaborative environment and has a proven record of excellent stakeholder management. Ability to successfully engage with all leaders from the executive level to individual contributors.
- Problem-solving: Ability to solve complex, undefined problems. Can gather data, consider customer needs, ask the right questions, conduct root cause analysis, and use data to develop a point of view.
- Influencing: Inspires confidence and can effectively get buy-in from team members and stakeholders in HR and the business.
- Team leadership: Experience leading a team of direct and indirect reports to achieve shared goals and meaningful outcomes. Can effectively delegate work to team members.
- Initiative and agility: Self-directed, can make progress with limited information or direction and can be agile and flexible.
- Communication skills: Has strong written communication skills and can tailor presentations to audiences at different levels. Can effectively facilitate learning programs and team meetings.
- Data analysis: Experience working with quantitative and qualitative data; deriving the “so what” from the findings and having the numbers tell a concise, accurate, and relevant story.
- Growth mindset: Passion for learning and self-development and continually seeks out feedback.
- Decision making: Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment to make complex decisions.
- Operational effectiveness: Ability to make moderate to significant improvements to programs and processes, aimed at increased efficiency and a better learner experience. Has experience with financial analysis and budget reporting.
- Vendor management: Has successful experience managing vendors and specific knowledge of vendors in the learning field.
- Requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within Organizational Development.
- Has advanced knowledge and skills including Organizational Development expertise, business acumen, financial analysis skills, risk management, delegation skills, critical thinking and decision-making skills.