Full Job Description
BRG’s Financial Institution Advisory (FIA) practice specializes in helping financial institutions (including banks, broker dealers, and money services businesses), governments and regulatory bodies, and fintech firms solve pressing industry and regulatory issues. The group brings a mix of functional experts—including former regulators, financial modelers, technologists, former bankers, and longtime consultants—to address immediate risks and drive tangible benefits.
The team is looking for highly energetic, junior professionals who are eager to build a career in financial services and consulting, with a focus on financial crime compliance (FCC). The FCC practice includes Bank Secrecy Act / anti-money laundering (BSA/AML), sanctions compliance, fraud, anti-bribery and corruption, and related disciplines. This person will use their solid analytical ability and strong organizational skills to solve complex problems. The work will involve both execution and oversight of engagement work streams that often combine qualitative and quantitative analyses, and responsibilities include business process reviews, current state assessments, developing roadmaps to enhance compliance, assisting clients with technology enablement and dashboard reporting, mentoring, and coaching junior staff, quality control, developing and presenting client deliverables, managing client relationships, conducting industry research.
- Work directly with senior experts to win and execute financial institution advisory projects related primarily to FCC;
- Plan and manage aspects of client engagements depending on their size and complexity;
- Delegate assignments to staff, instruct and monitor progress, and review work product for completeness and accuracy;
- Develop client deliverables and make valuable contributions to expert reports;
- Manage client relationships and communicate results and work products as appropriate;
- Demonstrate creativity and efficient use of relevant software tools, analytical methods, and computer models to develop solutions;
- Participate in group practice meetings, contribute to business development initiatives and office functions such as staff training and recruiting;
- Prioritize assignments and responsibilities to meet goals and deadlines; and
- May work on data intensive projects, including analytics, governance, and manipulation, to support a variety of FCC engagements.
Financial Industry / Product Knowledge
Prior work experience with financial institutions, regulatory bodies, nongovernmental organizations, or other institutions involved with one or more of the following activities is preferred:
- Banking (community / regional / money center / international / international branch);
- Non-bank financial institution services (e.g., crowdfunding, digital assets);
- Anti-money laundering (e.g., investigations, systems, and technology);
- Sanctions compliance (e.g., Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and/or other sanctions administrators);
- Fraud detection (e.g., investigations, systems, and technology);
- Anti-bribery and corruption initiatives (e.g., capacity building, analytics);
- Know your customer (KYC);
- International development; and/or
- Mathematics and/or statistics.
Prior skills or experience working in the following topical areas is preferred:
- Risk and Control Assessments;
- Process mapping/flows;
- Business process optimization;
- Quantitative analytics / machine learning / statistics;
- R, SAS, Python, and/or SQL; and/or
- Process automation.
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, international relations, political science, computer science, or a related field;
- Prior work experience with a focus on financial services;
- Strong MS PowerPoint presentation skills;
- Proven capability with MS Excel. A desire to expand those capabilities is required, as is the ability to train others to use such tools;
- Desire and ability to manage processes and other more junior staff, as necessary;
- Commitment to producing high quality analyses and attention to details;
- Keen interest in economic or financial analyses and research;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; and
- Desire to work within a team environment with individual contributions.
- MBA, M.A., M.S., J.D., etc.;
- Professional certifications such as CAMS, PMP, Six Sigma or related black belt or green belt credential may be considered;
- Ability and desire to travel to client sites on demand required; and/or
- Additional language(s) may be beneficial.
Headquartered in Emeryville, California, BRG currently has over 40 offices across the United States and internationally. Candidates would ideally be located in Washington, DC, or New York, NY. This position offers advancement opportunities within a rapidly growing expert services and consulting firm.