At AXA XL, our Reserving Actuaries have the unique opportunity to interface globally with varied business teams including underwriting, claims, operations, reinsurance, and information technology. Using your focused technical knowledge, in direct coordination with our teams of experienced actuaries and underwriters, you will develop a strong understanding of the diverse markets served by the Americas Region at AXA XL.
By digging deep into the business and providing forward-looking insights, you will have direct impact on strategic business initiatives. Using market leading analytical tools, you will ensure that approaches and trends in ratemaking, planning and forecasting result in reserve adequacy across varied commercial lines of business. While each day and situation bring new challenges, our reserving actuaries effectively develop solutions to complex problems by taking ownership of the reserving process and ensuring AXA XL can meet its financial obligations.
Through your reserving initiatives in multiple growth segments, you will be task – focused on providing insightful business intelligence, providing oversight and agenda setting on global reserving initiatives to enable AXA XL to react more quickly to emerging trends within the market.
What will your essential responsibilities include?
- Support Chief Actuary, Americas and Insurance Segment in the establishment of loss ratio budget and assist with coordination of planning activities across reserving, pricing and finance.
- Assessment, review and challenge of the appropriateness of methodologies and assumptions across relevant lines of business, and drive changes where this is considered appropriate.
- Establishing quarterly reserves while proactively evaluating and retrospectively reviewing reserve performance.
- Building effective relationships with key stakeholders / business partners in finance and underwriting by acting as a consultative business partner in influencing business decisions.
- Supporting strategic actuarial initiatives by providing in-depth timely, insightful, relevant and reliable business intelligence.
- Preparing actuarial reports and memorandums on business unit results to focus resources on emerging risk areas.
- Effective prioritization and management of staff resources, providing leadership, mentoring and insight to colleagues in support of varied business segments.
- Working directly with global financial reporting teams in Dublin, London, Paris, India, and throughout the United States.
- Staying abreast of current trends and changes in the functional areas that may impact the actuarial analysis.
You will report to the Deputy, Head of Reserves, Americas Region.
We’re looking for someone who has these abilities and skills:
- A highly accomplished commercial lines actuary within the Property and Casualty Insurance / Reinsurance Industry with at least 6-8 years of experience.
- Actuarial Accreditation from the Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) preferably at Fellow Level. We will consider exceptional candidates who may be close to achievement of their Fellowship designation (FCAS).
- Bachelor Degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Applied Math, Statistics, or related field. Advanced degree in related field of study is strongly preferred.
- Strong networking and relationship building skills with the ability to interact, report and present to all levels of the organization.
- Strong analytical and research skills with the ability to use a wide variety of business productivity software.
- Strong Excel and VBA skills as well as using Microsoft Office for data extraction, compilations and reporting.
- Experience with reserving methods and tools to structure, access, and manage data sets for modeling and managing risk.
- Experience with ResQ, the industry-leading loss reserving system or similar actuarial modeling software used for reserving, ratemaking, pricing, modeling or data analysis.
- Actuarial team leadership skills to work collaboratively with colleagues to build consensus while creating and participating in actuarial presentations for internal and external clients and senior management.
- Strong verbal communication skills to gain buy-in to communicate clearly and concisely with internal and external clients.
Flexible Work Eligible
AXA XL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.