Pulled from the full job description
Paid time off
Full Job Description
The Associate Director, Finance is an integral part of the Atara Finance organization and is responsible for supporting the Research and Development function’s Budget/Forecasts, quarterly close and reporting activities (including variance analysis), PR/PO tracking, executive-level financial communications, and ad-hoc financial analysis in support of the company and assigned departments. The position interacts with all levels of management within the organization as well as external partners such as CROs, contractors, consultants, and external auditors.
This hands-on position is directly responsible for R&D consolidation activities, implementation, and maintenance of financial models (including long range plan), creation of summary level slides for forecast, budget, earnings, leadership team, and board of directors. You will be a part of the R&D Finance team that is responsible for managing the financial activities for Atara’s Research & Development and collaborations functions.
Reports to Vice President, FP&A
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Travel Travel may be required (up to 20%).
- Coordinates communication from and acts as a liaison between CFO, VP FP&A, finance team and R&D business partners on budgets, forecasts, contracts, invoices, payments, change orders, business updates and all other related items.
- Works with accounting, finance, and investor relations on quarterly reporting for R&D and collaboration expenses (with accruals/journal entries/reconciliations) including variance analysis.
- Responsible for the quarterly forecasting and budget for R&D and collaborations, including development of flexible financial forecasting model.
- Works closely with Accounts Payable team to track vendor invoices against work orders and POs and provide oversight of vendor accrual and pre-paid amounts.
- Develops and maintains R&D clinical trial model.
- Delivers and continues to evolve reporting packages, including regular updates to clients, executives, and board of directors, through the use of technology solutions.
Creates new tools/dashboards that enable teams throughout the company to analyze the various costs and key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Ensures SOX compliance.
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in an office environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting or a related discipline is required. MBA and/or CPA is a plus.
- 5 or more years of relevant financial experience, biotech or pharmaceutical industry experience a plus.
- Knowledge and understanding of GAAP accounting and financial principles.
- Knowledge of corporate consolidation activities preferred.
- Experience operating within a Sarbanes-Oxley control environment.
- Familiarity and use with MS Dynamics and Adaptive Insight (or other similar financial consolidation system) is preferred.
- Strong problem solving, and analytical abilities combined with advanced Excel skills.
- Proficiency in creating PowerPoint presentations.
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work independently and be an engaged team member in a fast-paced environment. Strong initiative and follow through are essential for this job.
- The ability to maintain confidentiality and to operate in the role with the highest of ethical standards and professionalism are required.
- Role model for Atara’s Values of patients first, innovation teamwork, community, and mindset.
More about Atara Bio:
We launched Atara Biotherapeutics in August 2012 to help patients with serious diseases and few therapeutic options. We are considered a leading off-the-shelf T-cell immunotherapy company (Nasdaq ATRA) developing novel treatments for patients with cancer, autoimmune and viral diseases.
We’re proud of our team of 550+ Atarians co-located by design in 4 different locations including South San Francisco (corporate headquarters), Thousand Oaks (R&D and manufacturing headquarters), Zug, Switzerland (european headquarters) and a R&D site in the Denver, Colorado area. Our Southern California hub is anchored by a new 90,000 sq. ft., state-of-the-art Atara T-Cell Operations and Manufacturing (ATOM) facility.
Our mission – “Transform the lives of patients with serious medical conditions through pioneering science, teamwork, and a commitment to excellence.”
Our vision – “T-Cell Immunotherapy for every patient, any time.”
Atara offers a competitive benefits packages that includes medical/dental/vision benefits, life and disability, retirement and stock program, as well as a generous paid time off and wellness plan that supports the well-being of our staff. Visit www.atarabio.com/careers to learn more.
Atara Bio is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and other lawful factors. In accordance with applicable law, the Company prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, expression or dysphoria, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, transgender status or any other classification protected by federal, state or local laws or because of the individual’s association with a member of a protected group or connection to an organization or group related to a protected group.
We comply with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Atara Bio in the United States.