ascena is a leading national specialty retailer offering apparel, shoes, and accessories for women through our brands Ann Taylor, LOFT, and Lou & Grey, Lane Bryant and Cacique. We operate ecommerce websites and over 1200 stores throughout the United States.
Ready to apply? We currently have an opportunity for a Director, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) to join our team located at our Ascena NYC Corp Office-ascena-New York, NY 10036.
Director – Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
The CSR department serves as catalyst and driver for new programs and initiatives that support ascena’s long range CSR objectives to advance the Company’s brand reputation and purpose-led strategy. The CSR department drives sustainable practices and awareness raising initiatives to associates, enabling their commitment and participation as well as externally to the communities we serve.
About the Position:
This position will be a key contributor to the Corporate Social Responsibility function and will design and execute best in class programs with ascena’s partners globally. This position will develop relationships with Suppliers and Facilities globally and drive their compliance with Ascena Global Supplier Principles & Guidelines. The position will also help to represent ascena and our programs with service providers, monitoring firms and participate in relevant social compliance events, industry associations and brand-collaboration forums. Additionally, this associate will lead the team responsible for the execution of Ascena CSR strategy and supplier management functions. This associate will be responsible for strong collaboration with key business functions to identify and drive awareness and engagement with CSR programs throughout corporate functions.
- Act as key contributor to ascena’s Corporate Social Responsibility strategy to drive ascena performance towards long term sustainability goals.
- Identify and drive programs that leverage ascena supply chain and sustainability performance; articulate and advance more sustainable practices working in collaboration with other business functions.
- Oversee everyday operations of ascena Social Compliance program
- Oversee Corporate Supplier Management function responsible for review, approval and on boarding of global suppliers
- Manage projects from design to launch, liaising with multiple internal business functions, including Legal, Global Supply Chain, Marketing, Procurement, Store Communications, Store Operations and Corporate and Store Facilities, Field Leadership, and Merchandising teams.
- Act as a change agent internally to drive awareness of leading responsible sourcing and sustainability practices into key business units across ascena.
- Track and report trends and risks related to social compliance and labor conditions globally
- Support definition of long-term program goals.
- Measure and track performance to long term goals.
- Drive compliance strategies with vendors and agents.
- Interact with Sourcing teams to communicate supply chain risks and opportunities.
- Engagement with service providers, Suppliers and Facilities to drive programs supporting women in the supply chain
- Manage relationships with third-party monitoring service providers
- Identify collaboration opportunities with external stakeholders that create positive industry change on supply chain issues
- Participate in regular industry working groups to drive corporate responsibility programs (i.e., Sustainable Apparel Coalition, Better Work, HER Project, etc.)
Program Reporting, Research & Analysis
- Drive tracking and impact reporting for key programs.
- Manage data collection for Sourcing Scorecards.
- Review options for next-generation solutions for tracking and reporting of sustainability programs and make recommendations regarding viable solutions.
- Support Global Supply Chain vendor scorecarding
- Proactively review and report global Social Compliance trends and issues specific to ascena program and guide senior leadership around risks
- Develop and publish monthly Social Compliance reporting for internal partners
- Use benchmarking and research skills to proactively identify issues, risks and trends that can affect the brand.Provide analysis and make brand-appropriate recommendations.
- Participate in key industry events to benchmark and track leading practices.
Internal and External Communication
- Represent ascena interests with regards to corporate responsibility in trade organizations, working groups and forums.
Drive associate awareness and collaboration
- Partner with Leaders in Global Supply Chain to raise program awareness and support
- 7-10 years prior experience on a team managing and advancing corporate environmental sustainability programs and initiatives; ideally within the fashion, luxury or retail industries or as part of global / multi-national corporation, on a team responsible for drafting external CSR disclosures
- A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) degree required; Specialized training/educational focus on environmental sustainability issues preferred
- Exceptional ability to develop positive relationships and lead through influence with internal partners, build consensus and prioritize action plans and results
- Outstanding project management skills and the ability to structure and manage multiple initiatives simultaneously to drive completion
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically balancing sustainability objectives with needs of the business and resources
- Able to work within a complex and often ambiguous environment
- Excellent communicator with outstanding presentation and strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with C-Suite and Board of Directors
- Team orientated, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible
- Self-starter with a demonstrated ability to thrive in a team-based environment that is fast-paced and rapidly changing
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate ideas, concepts and proposals to engage and excite team members and senior leaders
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent programs with strong attention to detail and accountability to high standards of excellence
- Specialized training/educational focus of corporate responsibility issues, responsible sourcing, social compliance monitoring and sustainability strategy is preferred
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to prepare reports and recommendations based on a high volume of data
- Proven analytical skills; strong understanding of technology; problem-solver
- Able to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion
- Strong research, Excel, and PowerPoint skills
- Technology Skills – MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, Internet-research
Ascena NYC Corp Office-ascena-New York, NY 10036
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is committed to hiring and developing the most qualified people at all levels. It is our policy in all personnel actions to ensure that all associates and potential associates are evaluated on the basis of qualifications and ability without regard to sex (including pregnancy), race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability that can reasonably be accommodated without undue hardship, genetic information, military status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected classification under federal, state, or local law. We do not discriminate in any of our employment policies and practices. All associates are expected to follow these principles in all relationships with other associates, applicants, or others with whom we do business.