Do you want to work in a fast-growing beauty company?
Are you a strong leader with a strategic mindset?
Are you passionate about weaving DEI into all facets of a company?
If this is you, your perfect job is here!
Reporting to the COO and on the Organizational Strategy and Responsibility team, the Senior DE&I Leader will be responsible for implementing DE&I initiatives and strategies that will provide a rewarding and inclusive experience across all aspects of the business at Heat Makes Sense (HMS). You will work with HMS leadership, HR and brand leaders to incorporate DE&I into recruiting, employee engagement and retention, supply chain, brand content and stories, customer experience and more.
- Embed DE&I into the culture at HMS by creating programs and strategic goals for internal and external audiences that foster a spirit of inclusion and engagement across the organization
- Work closely with HR and business leadership to provide strategic insight, resources, tools and action planning support to advance diversity, equity & inclusion goals within the context of strategic talent management and business objectives
- Evaluate all areas of the business through a needs assessment to inform specific goals and objectives of the DE&I program
- Establish best practices and identify programs to remove barriers that affect staff retention and advancement, promoting a diverse supplier base and serving a diverse customer market
- Develop an inclusive approach to marketing decision-making through evaluating marketing decisions from a DE&I perspective
- Create and implement DE&I initiatives to attract and retain a diverse group of employees, suppliers and customers
- Provide direction and input in the development and/or enhancement of new and existing company policies/procedures, practices, systems and department-specific training gaps relative to the workforce, management leadership, vendors and customers
- Create instruments linking diversity and inclusion awareness to the organization’s business plan
- Analyze and monitor DE&I metrics and prepare periodic reports for senior management for evaluating/measuring diversity and initiatives against company objectives
- Direct the development of survey instruments to measure satisfaction of initiatives
- Manage relationships with external diverse organizations and partnerships that are significant to the Company’s global DE&I goals
- We need an innovative thought leader who will shape and drive DE&I strategy to build a dynamic, forward-looking enterprise
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills with ability to influence and gain buy-in from senior leadership and all employees
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong leadership and project management skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Organizational Psychology or relevant field; equivalent education and experience will be considered.
- Minimum of 6-8 years of progressive experience in developing solutions and implementing strategies with focus on diversity and cross-cultural resource efforts in an organization with a diverse population
- Thorough understanding of federal, state and local equal employment opportunity laws and regulations
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
Direct Manager: COO
Department/Team: Organizational Strategy and Responsibility
Location: Option to work 100% remote with 3-4 mandatory trips per year to HQ in Brooklyn, NY (paid by company)
So why should you work with us?
Heat Makes Sense, Inc. (HMS) is a fast-growing hair care and tool manufacturer, with our headquarters in Brooklyn and distribution in Pennsauken, NJ. We have created fun, performance-driven products and tools for professional stylists and consumers since 2009. Our products are carried by salon professionals and retailers worldwide. You have seen amika in Birchbox, Sephora and in your high-end salons (www.loveamika.com) and you’ve seen Eva NYC in Costco, Target and Urban Outfitters (www.eva-nyc.com). We owe a lot of our success to our company culture and embracing a tight-knit work environment.
Unlike most companies, we create everything in-house. Our brands and Product development take an idea for a tool or shampoo and creates versions for internal testing (employee participation encouraged!). Our amazingly innovative design studio to creates our unique packaging and marketing materials and our operations produces and distributes the new products. From there, marketing, sales and ecommerce take the reins to tell the world. All along the way, we have our executives, finance/accounting and HR/Admin departments to make sure the company itself is running smoothly. Every employee has an impact on the company, which inspires our collaborative culture.
Over the years we have defined our core values as inclusivity, sustainability, wellness and community engagement in our beautiful Brooklyn neighborhood and beyond. As we implement new processes and procedures, we rely on feedback and input from our employees to ensure every employee feels welcomed, safe and valued. We aim to practice what we preach and believe that our culture contributes to our success.
Here are just a few elements of our culture that you can look forward to:
- An inclusive environment amplifies our employees’ voices in fundamental conversations
- A staff of ambitious people who want to set roots down with us and advance in their career
- Ongoing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
- Monthly wellness events like yoga, meditation and guest speakers
- Rooftop BBQ’s in the summer and unforgettable holiday parties
- Volunteer and mentorship opportunities with various NYC-based organizations
- A safe space to let your ideas be heard and truly make an impact in the type of day-to-day you have always wanted
- Sustainability initiatives like composting, recycling and clean energy
- Shared core values among staff who are passionate about what they do
Here are some quotes from real employees to tell you about who we are:
- “Great products, great ideas, fun environment, great employees, capable and caring management, and endless opportunities for growth and development.”
- “A warm and encouraging atmosphere.”
- “Relationships between co-workers are extremely important here, which makes the overall experience of going to work very pleasant.”
- “Hard work is recognized.”
- “Super supportive management that really lets you have a voice and listens to your input and ideas.”
Benefits & Perks:
- Health, dental and life insurance
- 401(k) matching
- Short and long-term disability
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly product allowance
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Paid volunteering hours
Ready to apply?
Please click the link that will bring you to our careers page through Greenhouse. Submit a cover letter describing yourself and why you’d be the perfect fit along with your resume.