About Global Real Estate and Workplace Experience (GREWE)
Global Real Estate and Workplace Experience (GREWE) is the global team at American Express (Amex) responsible for the full lifecycle of planning, execution, and operations of Amex real estate. GREWE supports over 65,000 Amex colleagues and contractors in over eight million square feet of property located in 41 countries. Our real estate portfolio consists of large full-service campuses, office buildings, sales offices, and airport lounges. The sites may be owned, leased, or be occupied through a serviced space arrangement. Real estate and is part of the broader Global Servicing Group organization which delivers shared business services to colleagues across the enterprise.
The Director, Workplace ESG will be a key person in delivering against American Express’ long-term sustainability goals, including the company’s commitment to net-zero emissions globally by 2035. This position will leverage the Science Based Target initiative (SBTi) framework to shape the ESG real estate strategy. This is an exciting opportunity to strengthen Amex’s colleague value proposition by leading sustainability initiatives and healthy workplace programs for colleague globally. The ideal candidate will have strong Program Management background and the ability to seamlessly collaborate with internal functions and senior stakeholders. This position reports to the GREWE VP, Planning & Administration, and will lead a Manager, Workplace ESG.
Workplace ESG Responsibilities
- Oversee and guide the daily workload of a contractor team dedicated to the delivery of the environmental sustainability function within GREWE.
- Lead and contribute to the development of a strategic plan that improves the efficacy of GREWE’s local & regional service delivery teams delivering against GREWE’s ESG goals and performance targets.
- Partner daily with the GREWE Planning & Administration functional leads to direct and contribute to strategic cross-functional programs and major initiatives.
- Create and update GREWE’s standard operating procedures related to the ESG functions.
- Partner routinely with other GREWE global support and regional service delivery functions to ensure ESG policies and procedures are kept accurate and the function is adding material value to local service delivery teams.
- Collect, document, and disclose the Greenhouse Gas Inventory performance for AXP’s major Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emitting sources. Partner with other business group Data Center Infrastructure and Global Supply Management to centrally document GHG emissions associated with our operations.
- Direct team and contribute to completion of all non-voluntary and voluntary ESG performance disclosures in which GREWE’s business activities are in scope.
- Develop near and long-term strategic plans for GREWE to achieve and uphold all publicly stated environmental performance commitments.
- Direct and contribute to AXP’s annual global and market-level ESG reports.
- Direct on change management plans and send/draft communications when changes are made to global policies.
- Lead delivery and organized recording/filing of policy & process documentation, team activities, supplier performance and critical tracking project/program management tracking tools.
- Advise on technology strategy and prioritization of tech enhancements / investments that benefit Workplace ESG initiatives.
About GREWE Planning and Administration
GREWE Planning and Administration is a cross-disciplinary global function responsible for driving global strategy and policy development as well as ensuring compliance with corporate and functional administrative requirements across the workplace lifecycle. Planning & Administration functional areas include: Planning & Admin, Workforce Planning, Workplace Programming & Design, Workplace Services, Operations, ESG, and Workplace Safety.
The team reports into the GREWE VP, Planning & Administration which reports into SVP of GREWE, responsible for the entire real estate function.
- Must have strong program management skills and cross-disciplinary collaboration skills to coordinate across internal functions and stakeholders.
- Must possess a curious mindset and be self-motivated to continuously learn about ESG best practices to build a robust and innovative ESG strategy tailored to American Express.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of the core tenants of corporate real estate, and corporate ESG or sustainable operations.
- Demonstrates ability to develop and maintain multiple strategic relationships across an enterprise
- Demonstrates maturity in self-awareness, people leadership and team engagement.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal/written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a global capacity and manage projects / programs with teams across multiple time zones.
- Bachelor’s degree in or equivalent work experience in ESG strategy and/or operations is required. Master’s degree in the same is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years work experience in environmental sustainability and/or another component of ESG.
- LEED/WELL Accreditation, PMP, CPM, RPA or CSM designation preferred.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
US Job Seekers/Employees – Click here to view the “EEO is the Law” poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters to access the three posters.