Location: Remote considered. Phoenix, AZ; West Chester, PA; Oak Park, IL; or Denver, CO, preferred. Remote considered for exceptional candidates.
Type of Position: Full-time | Mid-level
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience
American Philanthropic is a growing, national philanthropic consulting and services firm with offices in the Philadelphia, Chicago, Phoenix, Denver metro areas. American Philanthropic works with charitable foundations and nonprofits to strengthen civil society—those nongovernmental, non-market-based associations and organizations which are vital to the health of our democracy. To do this, we offer strategic planning and assessment services, as well as a variety of services related to grantmaking and fundraising including development training, messaging and branding assistance, creation of donor-oriented materials and solicitations, donor prospect research, and direct mail program management, among others. More information is available at www.americanphilanthropic.com.
The senior consultant at American Philanthropic works within a specific consulting group at American Philanthropic and is primarily responsible interfacing regularly with a subset of that group’s clients as a project manager or engagement lead; managing the excellent execution of client deliverables; assisting with client cultivation and development of new business; and contributing to the professional growth and training of other American Philanthropic employees. This position will work closely with members of the American Philanthropic staff and with contractors to ensure that the firm continues to meet a high standard of excellence in serving its clients and fulfilling its obligations. Primary activities and responsibilities include the following.
Client Consulting and Project Management
- Serving as project manager and managing up to other staff within your consulting group on substantial client engagements;
- Serving as the lead consultant on small and mid-size client engagements and building strong client relationships;
- Consulting regularly with clients—both in person and via e-mail, phone and video calls, etc.—on a wide range of management, development, and communications projects and issues;
- Developing, helping execute, and analyzing the success of strategies for prospect research, messaging, donor outreach, and other elements;
- Assisting with the creation of strategic organizational, development, and communications plans;
- Reviewing, editing, and/or writing grant proposals, solicitation letters, and other client communications to ensure quality and alignment with client objectives;
- Managing tracking sheets, development calendars, moves management, and other planning tools for both internal and external use to monitor status of client deliverables and ensure their timely delivery;
- Responding in a prompt and professional manner to client communications and needs and/or managing up to others involved with the client when their input is needed;
- Coordinating and following up with internal and external parties such as other consultants, researchers, designers, writers, mail-houses, printers, etc. as needed to execute client deliverables; and
- Preparing client and board reports as needed.
- Representing the firm at client meetings, conferences, seminars, and other events;
- Actively engaging in the business development process at American Philanthropic by helping to build strong relationships with current clients, assist with contract renewals, and identify and bring in new clients;
- Supporting the management, training, and growth of other employees by giving thoughtful and thorough feedback on their work when necessary and supporting onboarding and ongoing training efforts of junior employees as requested;
- Assisting with the performance of other company-related tasks as needed.
The position reports directly to a consulting group leader and may require some local and national travel (2-4 days/month on average) for meetings, events, and trainings.
The ideal candidate will have at least six years of professional experience, including at least two years spent in nonprofit development, consulting, or foundation operations. Liberal arts background preferred. An exceptional candidate will demonstrate:
- Strong personal interest and commitment to American Philanthropic’s mission of strengthening society’s “little platoons”—the independent mediating institutions and voluntary associations that constitute civil society and are vital to human flourishing;
- Personal interest in and alignment with the client base served by American Philanthropic, as well as facility with contemporary American political, cultural, sociological, and economic discourse, especially as those realms of thinking impinge upon civil society;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a capacity to build personal relationships of trust and respect both with clients and colleagues;
- An exceptional ability to multi-task, organize, and manage multiple projects and deadlines with a high degree of prudence and conscientiousness;
- Strong writing, analytical, and research skills;
- Capacity to take personal ownership of projects, accomplish tasks, manage up to others, and make consistent progress on projects with minimal supervision;
- A strong work ethic, humble manner, and willingness to go above and beyond when necessary in order to help our clients and the company succeed and grow; and
- Enthusiasm about the opportunity to help build a fast-growing consulting and services firm into a major force in American philanthropy; and
- The desire and ability to make a positive contribution to a company culture that values practical wisdom, excellence, integrity, hard work, and conviviality.
- Cover letter that outlines 1) your interest in the position 2) how your values align with our mission 3) a highlight of your professional and/or personal achievements that have particular relevance to your ability to perform the role’s duties with excellence
- Writing sample, preferably from professional experience (i.e., redacted solicitation letter, strategy document, collateral)
- Three professional references