Full Job Description
At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an organization’s most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we’re committed to growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers innovation that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers’ dreams in ways never imagined.
American Family Insurance is driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
R25131 Trial Staff Attorney (Open)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.
This position personally handles moderately complex litigation involving either the corporation and/or its insured within established corporate guidelines and the applicable code of professional responsibility. Litigation includes all aspects of civil litigation, including trials and proceedings in all forums, whether at the local, state or federal level, mediation, arbitration, workers’ compensation, and administrative proceedings, and any necessary appellate work. Provides legal advice to assist the timely disposition of claims in a fair and equitable manner consistent with relevant statutes and within the guidelines of the company. Assists Supervisory attorneys on advising and counseling other departments as requested.
Inside Litigation (90%)
- Personally handles litigation involving either the corporation and/or its insured within established corporate guidelines and the applicable code of professional responsibility. Handles files and issues of a more complex nature with higher levels of dollar exposure and requiring less oversight. Communicates with client regarding file status and progress.
- Analyzes file as litigation progresses. Analyzes risk to insured and the company. Evaluates cases and seeks settlement authority as necessary.
- Conducts discovery (e.g. written interrogatories, requests for production of documents, and depositions).
- Conducts motion practice.
- Drafts all necessary pleadings, papers and briefs to advance litigation activities at the trial or appellate level. Conducts necessary research in support of drafting activities.
- Advocates client position in all forums (state and federal court, alternative dispute resolution, administrative tribunals and regulatory hearings) and circumstances, both formal and informal. Negotiates effectively in the resolution of claims and other issues.
- Stays current on state statutes and court decisions and analyzes how statutes and court decisions affect the interpretation and enforceability of the various policy provisions. May develop areas of specialty practice (e.g. special property, workers` compensation, environmental law, commercial coverage).
- Shares knowledge with Supervisory staff as appropriate.
- Participates in divisional or corporate projects as assigned.
- Develops and delivers presentations for other departments to inform personnel on how the law affects their particular job responsibilities.
- Performs assignments for other divisions and departments.
Information Management (5%)
- Uses case management system and related software effectively.
- Creates and maintains files in the case management system.
- Adjusts reserves to reflect company exposure based upon file information available at that time.
- Follows and complies with business processes and procedures.
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time (typically within KS and MO).
- This position requires the ability to work with close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less) for extended periods of time.
- This position requires the ability to talk between 33 and 66% of the time.
- Admission to the State Bar of KS or MO or eligibility for admission to the bar and obtaining admission within a year of hiring.
- Juris Doctor.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated experience preparing civil pleadings, motions and discovery and deposing witnesses.
- Demonstrated litigation experience.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of rules of Professional Responsibility for the jurisdiction in which they practice.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of tort, contract, and insurance law.
- Valid driver’s license required plus an acceptable driving record.
Additional Job Information:
- Based on experience, candidates can be considered at the trial attorney or senior trial attorney level
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
- Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visa) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
When you work at American Family you can expect benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise benefits.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.