You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible – and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
You will work in a highly dynamic and exciting environment and will have the opportunity to shape strategies and policies for American Express products and services. You will play an influential role working closely with colleagues in other Risk Management teams, EDA, Marketing, Finance, Servicing, Legal, Compliance, Banking, and Technology to create world-class strategies and capabilities.
The Key Responsibilities Include
- Develop and continuously enhance policies, processes, and controls for mitigating credit risk exposure and preventing fraud
- Conduct quantitative analysis to decide the underwriting criteria for a Small business application
- Identify, evaluate, and integrate new data sources and capabilities into decision-making
- Analyze large volumes of data to identify emerging credit rends and uncover new fraud patterns
- Partner with other teams across the company to standardize methodologies
- Maintain and monitor the credit quality and the impact of different underwriting strategies
- Maintain an effective control environment and respond to operational breakdowns with discipline
- Effectively communicates potential shifts that could alter expectations of the provision and P&L outcomes in a clear, concise, and transparent manner to leaders of the GCS business unit and the rest of the CFR community
- Drive operational excellence and ensure full compliance with regulatory requirements
- Advanced degree (e.g., MS, PhD, or MBA) in a quantitative field such as Econometrics, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Engineering, or Computer Science
- Advanced degree is preferred but not required given a suitable combination of formal education and work experience
- Credit/Fraud risk management experience and understanding of credit lifecycle is preferred
- Blend of analytical skills, process expertise, project management, and relationship-building skills
- Ability to handle large datasets using SAS, SQL, R, Python or another similar programming language
- Thought leadership and solution-oriented mindset
- Ability to think strategically and apply both quantitative methods and business insights to drive results
- Ability to build strong relationships in a cross-functional environment
- Clear, effective written and oral communication skills
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.