Full Job Description
- 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering and science teams
- Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
- 5+ years of technical program management experience
- 2+ years of experience in security analytics
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative or engineering field (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, etc.)
Amazon Web Services is looking for a Sr. Technical Program Manager (TPM) to join the Security Analytics and AI Research team within AWS External Security Services (ESS).
As a Sr. TPM you will be working closely with science and engineering teams in the ESS organization in AWS, focusing on executing goals towards launching state-of-the-art Machine Learning (ML) systems to solve some of the hardest problems in cloud security. A penchant towards the intersection of Machine Learning (ML) and cybersecurity and a detail driven focus will help one succeed in this role. We are looking for a program execution focused TPM to help research, build, evangelize, launch, and scale entirely new ML-driven features for various AWS security services such as GuardDuty (https://aws.amazon.com/guardduty/) and Macie (https://aws.amazon.com/macie/). As a member of the team that directly drives many aspects of science and engineering behind AWS ESS, you will have an enormous opportunity to impact the customer experience, design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge ML capabilities in cybersecurity.
A day in the life:
The role’s primary focus is the delivery of cutting-edge ML technologies for various AWS security services, from ideation to production while partnering with multiple stakeholders from science, data collection, engineering, product management and other partner teams. You will own multiple highly visible launches for the organization and represent the team in meetings with senior leadership. You will need to write business or technical documents, and communicate efficiently with partners or senior leadership. You will have a multiplying effect on the organization delivering key goals through attention to detail in driving processes while constantly inventing and simplifying on processes and roadblocks.
About the hiring group:
Security Analytics and AI Research team within AWS ESS is entrusted with researching and developing core data mining and ML algorithms for various AWS security services like GuardDuty (https://aws.amazon.com/guardduty/) and Macie (https://aws.amazon.com/macie/). In this group, you will help invent and implement innovative solutions for never-before-solved problems and keep AWS the safest and most trusted place for our customers.
- Manage cross-team initiatives by scoping and delivering projects end-to-end with highly skilled cross-disciplinary teams of engineers and scientists.
- Make appropriate trade-offs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional teams.
- Create launch plans that have clear, measurable success criteria, and clearly communicate progress and outcomes.
- Help define the mission, vision, and tenets of the team.
- Lead and represent the team in meetings with partner teams, stakeholders and senior leadership.
- Relentlessly simplify and demonstrate significant innovation, creativity, and good judgment when solving challenging problems.
- Drive best practices on the team, deal with ambiguity and competing objectives, and proactively identify and mitigate risks before they become roadblocks.
- Write effective narratives and present them concisely and effectively to Directors and VPs.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth:
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or any related quantitative field
- Proven track record of managing technical programs for science teams
- Track record of peer reviewed academic publications.
- Strong verbal/written communication skills, including an ability to effectively collaborate with both research and technical teams.
- Understand ML techniques in breadth and depth; Has the ability to break down complex business requirements to ML applications.
- Domain experience with threat detection techniques
- Domain experience with network security, cloud security, systems security, software security, malware analysis or other related areas.
- Meet/exceed Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meet/exceed Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
- Able to work in a diverse team