Amazon Advertising is one of Amazon’s fastest growing and most profitable businesses. As a core product offering within our advertising portfolio, Sponsored Products (SP) helps merchants, retail vendors, and brand owners succeed via native advertising, which grows incremental sales of their products sold through Amazon. The SP team’s primary goals are to help shoppers discover new products they love, be the most efficient way for advertisers to meet their business objectives, and build a sustainable business that continuously innovates on behalf of customers. Our products and solutions are strategically important to enable our Retail and Marketplace businesses to drive long-term growth.
We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks and break fresh ground in product and technical innovations every day. We optimize ad placements to match advertiser demand with publisher supply using a combination of machine learning, deep learning, and natural language processing (NLP), query reformulations, big data analytics, and low latency, high-volume systems. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving, with entrepreneurial drive and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
The Sponsored Sourcing Delivery team owns Ads Searching, Selection and Ads matching systems that involve efficient information retrieval (IR) Search algorithms, query reformulations, Natural language processing, deep-learning algorithms to enable a superior shopper experience and render highly relevant products for shopper’s mission. As Applied Science Manager responsible for Sponsored Sourcing Delivery team you will take ownership of the technical roadmap and delivery of real-time, scalable machine learning models influencing ad selection, relevance and ranking models. You will enable applied scientists to experiment and innovate quickly with a diverse set of models, features and techniques in a high-volume, low-latency environment. The Sponsored search solutions play a key role in the Amazon’s ad serving workflow (selection, ranking and auction) and operate under highly optimized settings viz. scanning billions of documents within milliseconds budget and ensuring high relevance. So the level of quality and reliability are critically important. You’ll raise the bar on software delivery, researching and innovating new matching algorithms and solution quality by investing in Sponsored Products Search features, key initiatives, and technical improvements to optimize for business impact and long-term sustainability.
As a Applied Scientist on this team, you will:
· Build machine learning models, perform proof-of-concept, experiment, optimize, and deploy your models into production.
· Run A/B experiments, gather data, and perform statistical analysis.
· Establish scalable, efficient, automated processes for large-scale data analysis, machine-learning model development, model validation and serving.
· Work closely with software engineers to assist in productionizing your ML models.
· Research new and innovative machine learning approaches.
· Recruit Applied Scientists to the team and mentor scientists on the team.
Why you will love this opportunity: Amazon is investing heavily in building a world-class advertising business. This team defines and delivers a collection of advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our solutions generate billions in revenue and drive long-term growth for Amazon’s Retail and Marketplace businesses. We deliver billions of ad impressions, millions of clicks daily, and break fresh ground to create world-class products. We are a highly motivated, collaborative, and fun-loving team with an entrepreneurial spirit – with a broad mandate to experiment and innovate.
Impact and Career Growth: You will invent new experiences and influence customer-facing shopping experiences to help suppliers grow their retail business and the auction dynamics that leverage native advertising; this is your opportunity to work within the fastest-growing businesses across all of Amazon! Define a long-term science vision for our advertising business, driven from our customers’ needs, translating that direction into specific plans for research and applied scientists, as well as engineering and product teams. This role combines science leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus, and business understanding.
Team video https://youtu.be/zD_6Lzw8raE
About the team
The Sponsored Sourcing Delivery team helps deliver billions of ad impressions and millions daily clicks daily. Our core charter revolves around building state-of-art machine-learning (ML) and natural-language-processing (NLP) methodologies to improve the search indexing & ranking mechanisms, which will directly improve the advertiser and shopper experience. We’ve been one of the fastest growing teams in Amazon in terms of business impacts launched and momentum continues. We’re a talented team of scientists and engineers working on complex and ambiguous problems, and we have an engineering-driven culture that influences business outcomes.
· PhD or equivalent Master’s Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
· 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· Published research work in academic conferences or industry circles.
· Experience in building large-scale machine-learning models and infra for online recommendation, ads ranking, personalization, or search, etc.
· Technical leadership in machine learning.
· Effective verbal and written communication skills with non-technical and technical audiences.
· Experience working with real-world data sets and building scalable models from big data.
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution.
· Exhibits excellent business judgment; balances business, product, and technology very well.
· Experience in computational advertising.